Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yogi's Bakery Corner

Yogi's Bakery Corner

Chocolate peanut butter fudge cakes, round 1

Used the wrong tin so couldn't fill and half and half them, originally it should have had different top and bases, hence the two colours of cake mix which were chocolate or peanut butter flavoured, filling would have been a peanut butter fudge, unlike the topping which is a peanut butter chocolate fudge glaze! If anyone wants recipes let me know and I'll try and upload them.

Quote Originally Posted by YogiMojo View Post
    for the cakes:
    75g butter
    100g castersugar
    2 eggs(beaten)
    100g SR flour
    25g Peanut butter
    25g dark choc
    Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth, add the beaten eggs gradually(too much at once and the mix turns lumpy) then mix in the flour. Split the mix into 2 bowls and melt the dark chocolate(double boiler is best), add the chocolate to one batch and the peanut butter to the other. In a fairly shallow baking dish (about 1" deep) these took 14min to cook from a preheated 180 degrees C. Now for the super tasty bit!
    for the Glaze:
    30g of Butter
    30g of Smooth peanut butter
    3 tbsp Golden syrup
    170g of dark chocolate
    This bit is dead easy, use your double boiler set up from before to melt all the ingredients together being careful not to burn the chocolate, once it's off the heat it will set within 10 min or so allowing you to shape spirals on top of the cake. This is way too much glaze for the cakes by the way, I used about half my glaze, but you can cover and chill it and it keeps well, just reheat it to make it more liquid next time you want to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiMojo View Post
    Caster sugar is just a finer version of granulated, Self Raising Flour contains raising agents aparently 1 tsp of baking powder to 110g pf plain flour, apparently corn syrup can be used as a replacement for golden but the flavour is changed somewhat. apparently golden syrup can be found in the states if you dig around.
    Good luck
    Yogi
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
    Thanks for all the clarifying! They do look (and sound) yummy, so it's worth trying to figure it out.

We can find self-rising flour here, but it's uncommon. What you're calling "icing sugar" would be called "powdered sugar" or "confectioner's sugar" here, and we do not have "caster sugar"; we can get something called "superfine sugar" which is a better match but it's also very uncommon. King Golden Syrup is, as you found, available in the US, but mostly in very limited areas; however, Internet to the rescue if one wants to order it online.

So as this looks and sounds yummy, it might be a recipe in need of a make-over with US-available ingredients (and quantities: we measure in cups and tablespoons (which are a slightly larger than UK tablespoons) and ounces, not grams; I have a weight scale but most people do not). I may give it a go and report back! Thanks!
    --ER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetdrops View Post
    Eleanor the powdered sugar might be correct for icing sugar and the superfine is for castor sugar. Yogi those look totally awesome and I am going to make them myself. I love peanut butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by hobgoblin View Post
    *coughs*
    That is true for the UK Karin.
    I think icing sugar in USA is confectioners sugar though.
    Caster sugar is called super-fine sugar.
    You could try substituting Golden Syrup in recipes with Agave Syrup. That is a far healthier option in any country too just like replacing sugar for stevia. Alternatively, there are a couple of internet shopping sites where you can buy the Golden Syrup if like me you want the original full sugar version!

Black Pepper Shortbreads

Blackpepper Shortbreads

Second time around with these and I think by switching from rice flour to custard powder I've definitely got a better texture.
    Ingredients:
    225g butter
    125g caster(superfine)sugar
    225g plain flour
    125g custard powder
    3/4 tsp ground black pepper
    melted dark chocolate to coat (about 40g per 9 biscuits)

Method:
    Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy, then slowly work in the flour, custard powder and blackpepper, once this has mixed a bit it's best to put down the spoon and get your hands in there to really get it all well mixed. Turn the dough out onto a board and break it into two halves, this is just to keep the amount your working with more manageable. Roll the dough into a nice smooth sausage shape, patting and reworking the ends to keep them flat then wrap in cling film and refridgerate, do this with both halves.
    Put these into the fridge and let them chill turning after a few minutes to stop them getting a flat bottom(chuckle). You can then slice them off into perfect biccy shapes at about 1cm thickness. I then rolled mine in a little white sugar or brushed the edges with cocoa to give a nice finish before baking them. Place them onto a non stick baking tray and bake at 190 celsius (375 f) for 12 minutes. Allow them to cool transferring them to a wire rack after a few minutes to let them set, whilst they cool (bear in mind how cool they are will affect the time for the chocolate dip to set) melt the chocolate using a double boiler method. Once that's nice and liquid pick up the cookies and dip 'em! my cooling tray only has wires one way not cross hatched so I set them in the gaps to cool but I'm sure you can find something. Finally to add a little saucyness to the look and flavour I sprinkled a little sea salt along the edge of the chocolate, all this is totally optional though once you have your basic biscuit there are many way to finish it!

2 Layer Chofundgenutbutters

OK so remember the first recipe, this is basically an improvement of that so you'll want to use the same ingredients but doubled as we want to have a cake with room for filling this time! Use a deep 1 dozen cupcake tray, I have one which is loose bottomed which make removal of the cakes so much easier!(approx. 1 inch deep and normal cupcake width)

so whats the addition? well apart from using a double mix for the cakes(split as before into choc and peanut butter flavours) these have a peanut butter fudge filling which is much firmer than the chocolate peanut butter fudge glaze.
    I should also point out that I've found that these recipe's give you far too much topping/filling than you need for one batch I would say the chocolate peanut butter glaze should cover 2 batches of 12 and the peanut butter fudge is enough for 3 to 4 batches. However if you don't fancy going bake crazy and making that many cakes you can leave both of these to set and enjoy them like a regular fudge. If you do want to re-use them for a later bake they keep in the fridge happily for a week or so and you just need to gently re-heat them(I used double boiler method) to make them pliable enough to work with.
    without further ado, the smooth peanut butter fudge recipe:
    Ingredients:
    50g Butter
    125g Soft brown Sugar (as fine as possible)
    30 ml Full fat Milk
    50g Smooth Peanut Butter
    200g Icing Sugar (for a softer fudge you may want to leave a few spoonfulls out)

In a saucepan over low heat mix the butter milk and brown sugar until the butter is melted and the sugar dissolved. Add in the peanut butter and mash it thoroughly to spread the peanut butter through the mix whilst still on the heat. Now sieve your icing sugar (I know it's a pain!) into a large bowl and mix it in to the rest a few spoonfulls at a time until you get a nice smooth texture. Whilst still warm this will spread easily. for the rest, with the cakes made earlier you should now have 6 chocolate and 6 peanut butter, slice these in half once cooled using a breadknife and spread the peanut butter fudge nice and thickly before sandwiching together two different tops and bottoms then covering with the chocolate fudge glaze. Enjoy!

Again this is a variation on a theme, so the recipe is very similar this time with a raspberry and white chocolate finish. For the raspberry flavouring I'm using a freeze dried powdered raspberry which I really like as it carries the whole depth and sharpness of the flavour.
    Ingredients:
    100g butter
    100g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    100g Self Raising flour (or 100g plain flour with just under 1 tsp of baking powder)
    3 level tsp dried raspberry powder
    approx 120g (10g per cake) white chocolate
    dried raspberry powder to sprinkle over the tops
    *optional* little thimble sized thingys wrapped in foil(see pic) these are used to create a 'well' in your cakes

Picture shows 3 jam filled cakes and the 'wellmaker' that allows you too fill them

preheat your oven to 180 celsius/350F
    Cream together the butter and sugar before adding the egg a little at a time (mixing thoroughly each time you add egg can help keep the texture smooth). Once that's all well mixed and as smooth as you can get it add the flour and raspberry powder, once again mix thoroughly until you have a uniform colour and texture. Spoon the mixture evenly into your cupcake tray, creating a dip in the middle by spreading the mix up the sides can help to keep the rise even though you will still probably end up with a peak in the middle of your cakes. these take about 10 min in your preheated oven, however after 5 you can put in your 'wellmakers' should you wish to go hardcore with your cakeage(this step may take some practise, the first time I tried I baked 2 at a time as I only had 2 'wellmakers'). After your ten minutes is up remove the cakes and allow them to cool on a wire rack, whikst they dao melt the white choc using the double boiler method. If you used the wellmakers you can now carefully spoon jam into the centres, push it down though to help it bond to the cake so it is less likely to come out. Then cover over with the white chocolate, if your careful you should be able to do this without upsetting the jam. If you like you can cut a stencil out to sprinkle the raspberry powder through but this is just for appearance. Either way, spoon a little of the raspberry powder into a small sieve and gently dust the top of the cakes(through your stencil or not). Allow them to set and wow your friends with your jam centred cakes!

sticky pineapple buns with a creamy coconut coconut frosting

Here's an interesting recipe that can help you get rid of that half pineapple that's threatening to go off in the fridge.
    The pineapple cake
    Ingredients:
    2 eggs
    250g plain flour
    400g caster(superfine) sugar
    1/2 a pineapple(at least medium to large)
    2tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
    Chop your pineapple as small as possible keeping the juice, put it all into a pan and just cover with boiling water then simmer for 20min. Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius (350F) and take the pineapple mix of the heat and leave to cool. Beat the two eggs in a large mixing bowl and weigh up and mix the flour, sugar and bicarbonate of soda. Sift the dry ingredients into the eggs gradually, once you have half the flour mix thoroughly blended the dough will become very stiff, at this point take your now cool pineapple and using a slotted spoon transfer the solids to a blender and blend it down to a puree (fine pulp). Mix this in, one tblsp at a time to ease the dough then mix in the remaining dry ingredients. This should form a fairly liquid mixture, add roughly 2 tblsp of the mix to each dish of a deep twelve cake loose bottom tray, you will definitely need to line the trays if they are not loose bottomed! These will bake in about 15-17 minutes, do the usual skewer check (insert a skewer into the centre of your cakes, it should come out clean if they are cooked). Leave these to cool completely whilst you make the frosting.

(as an early experiment some of these were topped with crushed almond)

The Frosting, this is still experimental and I will be finding a way to thicken it, but if you don't mind sticky fingers it really adds to the cake(bun, whatever!).
    Ingredients
    50g coconut milk
    200g icing(confectioners) sugar
    250g mascarpone (soft cream cheese)
    50g(ish) flaked almonds crushed for finishing
    Start with your coconut milk in a good sized bowl and gradually sift in and mix your icing sugar until it forms a thick(but still liquid) white icing, throw the mascarpone in and mix well until it forms a smooth mix and holds it's shape. Assuming your cakes are now cooled gently loosen the crust around the tops and then remove from the tin by pushing up on the loose bottom or pulling on the grease proof paper. Turn them upside down onto your cooling rack so they rest on the crispy top. Apply the forsting using a spatula to form a thick layer around the soft part of the cake and over the top leaving the rim clean to grip the cakes (so you can get a good mouth full!). I like to crush some flaked almonds down a little and then sprinkle them around the edge of the cakes leaving the top smooth, this adds crunch but also helps to make them easier to handle!
    pictures of the frosting to follow!

Introducing...

OK, so this is abuse of my Bakery Corner, but please allow me to introduce, Yogi's newest Kitchen Hinderer, Loki.

So cute!! ^^

Forum Rules | Miramagia Answers | Game Rules
    I/W/S 2014 Overview | Forum Suggestions
    Moderators work on a voluntary basis and are therefore not available 24 hours a day.

A festive look for shortbread

Dried cranberries roughly chopped and put into the shortbread dough above(less the black pepper, use 40g of cranberries for a full batch of dough) these were also rolled in brown sugar before cooking which adds a real crunch to them. The decoration is done by cutting thin strips of the dried cranberry (3/4 per biscuit) and melting some white chocolate using the double boiler method. Let the shortbreads cool thoroughly before decorating otherwise the white chocolate will run. Now may also be a good time to figure out hw you will rest a half chocolate dipped biscuit! If you can find a way to stand them up like a toast rack brilliant, otherwise you can lay them out on a teflon (non stick) baking sheet to cool. If you are standing them up to cool you need to put the strips on as you go but if your laying them out you can do them all at once. Enjoy your festive shortbreads!

Merry Christmas from the kitchen!

Seriously, thats some heavy cake action man, misissipi mud pie base layer, ganache topping covered in 3 flavours of truffles( plain rolled in pistachio, cointreux rolled in cocoa and raspberry in white chocolate).

Death by chocolate mmm what a way to go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast