Thread: Introducing . . Baumkuchen!

Introducing . . Baumkuchen!

The Carnival Dance season had just started and the Miramagicians were out changing their decorations and enjoying the sun, the fellowship and the bright colours. . .the plant fairies were admiring each other's new seasonal headware and Emilio was busy unpacking the new stock. It was a beautiful day in Mira and all the magicians were busy and happy.

Then, one young Mageling smelt it. A smell that turned her attention away from the seat testing she was doing on the village treee - was this cushion more comfortable than that one? That was the hypothesis she was exploring . .and was now distracted.

A sweet smell, but spicy, somehow . .a flavour of something new, different . . tasty! One she did not recognise; one that sent her hunting for the source.

And she found it. In the valley of all places; a small cottage, once ruined but now, magically, repaired, with a sign hanging from it: Baumkuchen's kitchen.

Baumkuchen's kitchen? Baum . ,tree . .kuchen . . .cake . .treecake kitchen! Oh wow! And it smelled . . like Christmas and springtime; like fresh flowering miras and ginger . . delicious! Intoxicating . . .

She stepped forward, her mouth watering and looked, feasting her eyes as well as her sense of smell. Movement; she could see movement inside the open doorway. There were small tables outside, festooned with brightly coloured tablecloths, and chairs, placed invitingly around them. Small centrepieces dotted each table and the Mageling took one up carefully. It looked like a bird; the body a soft lilac colour, but it had a jester's hat on its' head and colourful tail feathers. Ah yes! She recognised it. The Carnival mascot now available as a gift! She peered more carefully =- all the table centrepieces had a link to the Carnival Dance season!

A movement of white caught her eye, and a sweet smell . . sugar, she identified, and a warm deep fat doughnut type of smell . .ooh!
    Dragonholt
    Community Manager
    Miramagia COM

You have a question? Look here for your answer:Miramagia Answers
    Are you looking the forum rules and Netiquette? You can read them Here.
    Moderators are volunteers therefore you are not able to reach them 24/7.

The white resolved itself into a jolly looking figure, rotund, and floury; tall enough to dwarf the doorway; and round enough to fill it. Inn his hands a platter, and on his head a bandanna, with the same carnival colours as coule be seen in the decorations

'My friend!' he boomed; his voice seemingly as expansive as his build, 'Come, try this! You are just in time!'

The platter was proffered and the Mageling could see a heap of golden spirals, heaped in a glistening sugary haze.

Almost without volition, her finegrs moved forward and she took one.

'Try it!' he urged her, 'Jalebi!'

Tentatively she savoured the scent - ah yes, suagry; warm freshly cooked dough smell - this was what had lured her into the Valley . . she took a bite. And was transported. Such a burst of delicate yet intense sweetness; her eyes closed; and it was as if she were in a marketplace; a market place with strange sounds and speech; she could feel the sunlight warming ehr face and the sparkle of different spices tease her nose. The sugary jalebi melted in her mouth and as the taste disipated so the sensory illusion faded.

'Wow!' that was all she could say as her eyes opened and she looked into the broad smiling face of the chef.

'You like it?'
    'Amazing! Is that a type of . . magic?'
    'Yes! Kitchen magic. My magic.'
    'what was it?'

'Jalebi. A taste - of Asia. Julabi are made for Festival times in South Asia and the Middle east over the mountains and in the human world. I simply mix the sweet batter and deep fry it - along with a sprinkle of magic. A taste of the world beyond . . '

For more information try https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD
    Dragonholt
    Community Manager
    Miramagia COM

It turned out he had travelled all over, through the human world, and was keen to explore Mira - 'may be I find new items for my menus!' he enthused.
    Baumi, he said his name was, 'Baumi - short for Baumkuchen' he explained - 'I am as tall as a tree and I bake cakes . .seems right to me!'

The Mageling couldn't help but agree - especially after she had eaten a few more jalebi - in fact she felt rather overful with sugary sweets now, and her mind and memory full of the scents and sounds of a different marketplace.
    Dragonholt
    Community Manager
    Miramagia COM

Love it! Makes me want more stories like this one. A big change in story types and a great chance to get the taste buds going and the juices flowing for another bite! All we need now is the recipe.