PDA

View Full Version : When a Market is not a Market.

Mudge
16th February 2015, 08:36 AM
Greetings forumers.

It's a pity my first post on the forum has to be a gripe, but hey, you never know, a MiraMagia developer might happen by and read this diatribe. Though knowing what developers are like I doubt it. When I posted support suggesting they pass it onto those who care they suggested I post it on the forum, So blame support!

We, as we all know, have a market. Or do we? I see very little trading and a heck of a lot of storing. Let's be honest about it, it is an additional storage facility. The trading aspect is such a joke the game developers came up with the breathtaking "in house" solution of the valley trader to offload the excess produce. Not much of a solution was it!

So we are left with the competitions to offload produce and that's about it.

Some of us are fortunate to have a lot of gold and mana, to the extent the pitiful offerings we get nearly every day from the wheel and crystal ball is verging on insulting.

So, to relieve the tedium, a good trading opportunity with a lively market would be an outlet.

My suggestion would be to introduce a shelf life for what are perishables and that would stop players storing produce at a ridiculous price and stimulate trading, which is what a market is for. By doing that, the game developers could scrap or reduce the extortion, sorry, tax charges which also restrict sensible trading.

They got the market more or less right on Remanum, which was a good game Travian decided to scrap. Let's hope they don't end up scraping this one when they realise no one is playing it, because they have all died of boredom.

Even a slow paced game like this has to have something interesting to do.

Have fun.

Mudge the Otter.

Serpent Goddess
16th February 2015, 08:55 PM
I don't mind the market, its a one hand washes the other to help with Transformation. Yes, I agree, we all use it as storage, but the people who buy from you, hopefully your kind enough to return the favor. Otherwise you can always got to the Sorcerer Shop.
I find it disappointing that we can't sell other items - like Travian let us do. There's no auction system, no second hand store, and I have items in inventory that I don't want, but I know someone else will. Not that Dev's make crummy things, I think their items are all beautiful, theres just different tastes for different people.

I play 4 fun
17th February 2015, 12:49 AM
-----
I buy and sell on the market multiple times every day. I like the ability to store crops in the market. The high and low prices are reminiscent of real life. Each person decides if the crops they posted for sale are expensive or not. And like life there are "taxes" to pay. (The cost of doing business.) When you get farther along in the game, you will see that the different ways to use the market is a good thing.
I don't know about the Other games you spoke of, never played them. But I can also see where changing the market in the Wrong way could end it. I would agree with additional options TO the market. But disagree with taking options away. If my crops died because I left them in the market too long, I would completely stop using it. Learn to use the market in it's different aspects, and you may change the way you feel about it.

-----
The FREE Carnival daily's, (tent, wheel, booth) have nothing to do with the market and have been getting better at a rapid pace.
Sometimes they are not worth the time it takes to use them. BUT, I have won some Very nice prizes from them. How can anyone complain about Free?
-----

Mudge
17th February 2015, 09:13 AM
Learn to use the Market in it's different aspects?

What are they exactly?

It's quite simple. a market is for trading, that's it. If the produce are perishables then their number would reduce the longer you offer them for sale, "reminiscent of real life" That would make players remove them for sale or re-offer them at a more realistic price. The "taxes" are fine in principle, but too high. I won't sell anything on the market, because it is not cost effective. I just use the sorcerers shop for most purchases, why pay over the top prices? You usually expect to get goods cheaper in a market than a shop. probably it should be scrapped and replaced with an auction, then players can place a bid for what they want within a reasonable time frame.

It is not a market, it is a glorified storage facility, so why not just call it a "storage facility," not a market.

"I find it disappointing that we can't sell other items - like Travian let us do."

I agree with Serpent Goddess on this point.

I play 4 fun
17th February 2015, 12:17 PM
A seprate place for auction or an add on to the market for auctions would be ok.
The Market has come a long way from what it was when it was introduced. The devs. have worked very hard to please everyone possible. Other than that, in my opinion, I like it just fine so far.

Brighteyes18
18th February 2015, 03:22 AM
I quite like the way the market functions for the most part. I use it to buy and sell crops that I don't feel like growing for Harvest Races. I also watch the market regularly for people putting up a small amount of their crops in order to fulfill achievements and buy those items regardless of cost. As to the cost - I think a true market would have products offered for many different prices which is what we see here anyway!

The objection I have with the market is the lengthy lag between a friend posting something I need for sale and it's appearance on the market. Many times I don't even see the crop arrive in the market and it has already been purchased by someone else. This is particularly frustrating for crops like Miramitsu which are hard to come by right after a transformation.

Serpent Goddess
18th February 2015, 04:03 PM
The objection I have with the market is the lengthy lag between a friend posting something I need for sale and it's appearance on the market. Many times I don't even see the crop arrive in the market and it has already been purchased by someone else. This is particularly frustrating for crops like Miramitsu which are hard to come by right after a transformation.

Yes, Yes, Yes !! Heres a thread about having a reserved option for buying and selling.
http://forum.miramagia.com/showthread.php?t=5358

Divination
21st February 2015, 09:17 AM
The situation with the market is really a reflection of the bigger picture of what's happening with our gold in the game. There is just too much gold and not enough options to spend them, that one person can buy out all the items in the market if they so choose. With that in mind, you can see why there won't be a race to the bottom in term of pricing. The crops you see at max price are actually not there for just storage, but meant to be bought by other players (with the exception of the most popular harvested crops). That's not hard to grasp, once you understand there isn't anywhere else in this game that people can spend their excess gold on, other than for buying plants (from sorcerer's shop, or from market) for even more gold (via competitions).

A better approach before 'fixing' the market in my opinion is to come up with more ways people can spend their gold on, so that gold becomes a valuable commodity and not something people need to dump before transforming.

I do like how people can now spend gold on tree spells rather than mana. Its more of that kind of changes that will make gold more relevant, and will eventually alleviate some problems with the market.

Serpent Goddess
21st February 2015, 03:14 PM
I agree Divination, more options to use the gold would be helpful, however, I've yet to be able to get tree spells for anything other that optics plants in the valley. Please tell me where I can find them for gold. Thanx :)

Elsje
21st February 2015, 08:53 PM
I agree Divination, more options to use the gold would be helpful, however, I've yet to be able to get tree spells for anything other that optics plants in the valley. Please tell me where I can find them for gold. Thanx :)
I'm pretty much convinced Divination meant the tree decoration spells... Not the watering bonus...

Mudge
23rd February 2015, 03:32 PM
The crops you see at max price are actually not there for just storage, but meant to be bought by other players (with the exception of the most popular harvested crops). That's not hard to grasp, once you understand there isn't anywhere else in this game that people can spend their excess gold on, other than for buying plants (from sorcerer's shop, or from market) for even more gold (via competitions).

I'll tell you what is a lot easier to grasp, buying the same crops at the Sorcerers shop. Why should I pay inflated prices? Those who do have clearly more gold than sense. At least that means I have more crops to use in competitions for my buck.

I don't sell on the market because it is not cost effective to do so.

If players want to indulge in philanthropy by all means don't let me stop you , but for those players who seriously like trading, for profit, considering it to be part of the game, then the options are more limited than they should be.

I do agree we need more opportunities to spend our gold, but I would prefer to see goods bought and sold between the players rather than being flushed away by the system. That is also trading, by the way.

I see no shame in doing things for profit.

Elsje
23rd February 2015, 06:08 PM
I'll tell you what is a lot easier to grasp, buying the same crops at the Sorcerers shop. Why should I pay inflated prices? Those who do have clearly more gold than sense.
Oh my, Mudge... People have their reasons for buying from the market. Some plants are unavailable in Sorcerer's shop, like Miramitsu or Optic Plants etc. That's one thing. The other thing is when your level is too low to be able to buy a particular plant in the city, and you want to participate in a HR where this plant is required, you can simply buy from the market. I hope that was not too dificult to grasp...

Mudge
24th February 2015, 10:07 AM
No it was not too difficult to grasp. I'm not a beginner! You're not stating anything I do not already know. Yes, your are on occasion forced to fork out for plants at over inflated prices. But if they are unavailable to you in the sorcerers shop then you are likely to be one of those players who cannot afford to pay over inflated prices. So the rich get richer...

Still, if that is a philosophy you endorse then the market/ storage facility is the place for you. :rolleyes:

RubyBramble
24th February 2015, 11:46 AM
Sorry, but after a transformation, when the level is too low for certain plants surely most player have enough gold to buy them.

Mudge
24th February 2015, 02:01 PM
Sorry, but after a transformation, when the level is too low for certain plants surely most player have enough gold to buy them.

Yes probably, providing you are prepared to pay over inflated prices for them.

RubyBramble
24th February 2015, 05:05 PM
If you want to buy plants which are to high for your level you have to be prepared for this. But you will see - having gold after transformation is absolutely no problem. Surely - you could decide to do no competitions before having the level for the plants. I don´t know any player who would do so.

Serpent Goddess
24th February 2015, 06:11 PM
You can always do Questies Mudge. There are lots of issues with the Market, yes - I agree. But seriously, if you don't like the prices, buy from shop...the prices are the least of the problem.

pigeon
30th March 2015, 12:34 AM
To be honest I don't really see a problem with the market. If you need to sell something you can sell it for the cheaper price and people will certainly buy it from my experience. If you want to use it for storing you can sell it for more expensive. If you want to buy something then just go to the store if no one is offering things for cheap. I think making items perishable is not fair since a lot of people like to use it for storage. I think a better option would be to make the storehouse able to upgrade higher so that people won't need to use the market for that.

Aliya Silver
30th March 2015, 02:44 PM
Just a bit of official information about that topic:

The market place is meant to be a possibility for extra storage but as it is primarily a place to buy and sell plants this comes with a certain risk one must be aware of.
So storing plants at the market at max price is an action that doesn't need to be frowned upon - but also if you buy plants at maximum price you don't need to take any angry words from the player who set up the offer.

Generally, Miramagia is a game with complex features and sophisticated strategies - offering a variety of options to choose from is something the developers are aiming at designedly. This is what makes the game attractive for a lot of people with very different style of playing and very different ways of life - which is clearly enriching the community :)

Mudge
7th April 2015, 09:12 AM
Just a bit of official information about that topic:

The market place is meant to be a possibility for extra storage but as it is primarily a place to buy and sell plants this comes with a certain risk one must be aware of.
So storing plants at the market at max price is an action that doesn't need to be frowned upon - but also if you buy plants at maximum price you don't need to take any angry words from the player who set up the offer.

Generally, Miramagia is a game with complex features and sophisticated strategies - offering a variety of options to choose from is something the developers are aiming at designedly. This is what makes the game attractive for a lot of people with very different style of playing and very different ways of life - which is clearly enriching the community :)

it is primarily a place to buy and sell plants this comes with a certain risk one must be aware of.

No, it IS a storage facility with the occasional sale made. Hardly a thriving market. It's dead in the water and you know it. What risk? I am not aware of any risk. Unless you mean the the sharks who are looking to exploit ignorance, or innocence , if you prefer.

Generally, Miramagia is a game with complex features and sophisticated strategies etc etc...

Bit off topic, nice words, don't mean a lot really. It's a slow paced game for pottering and not having to use your brain very much. A twee little game for nice people, nothing more.

Cazzers
7th April 2015, 04:50 PM
Each player has different styles, needs, and perceptions. Aliya was pointing out the fact that there is a wide breadth of options, as did Pigeon, when it was highlighted that players do sometimes make cheap offers - meaning that they may choose to if they so wish.

However, attacking each other is never the answer in Miramagia. Ever! Discuss, by all means, but do so respectfully and not with a view to offend or inflame!

Regarding this thread, as there is such a diversity in these answers alone, perhaps we should end it here and take a list of possible alterations to the correct area, which is frequently read by our hard-working development team? (http://forum.miramagia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9).

If you wish to continue the debate here, please remember what I stated above, and keep everyone in mind, not just your own, personal agendas.

Thank you

Serpent Goddess
7th April 2015, 07:54 PM
I think the market would be more interesting if we were allowed to sell other items as well as plants. Maybe one of the empty buildings could be set up as a sort of resale, consignment shop...or maybe even an auction house.

I'm really starting to wonder what happens once my inventory counter hits 9999. I'm getting really close as I'm sure others are too. I have some items I don't want, and I can't sell them in the Sorcerer shop either, like flags and stuff. And I get nothing back for ruby items either.

If my items are going to be viewed as donations, shouldn't I get a credit somewhere?

kayceekase
8th April 2015, 01:14 AM
i agree with this 1000 percent. like the seasonal garden stuff and things like that

Mudge
8th April 2015, 05:57 PM
Each player has different styles, needs, and perceptions. Aliya was pointing out the fact that there is a wide breadth of options, as did Pigeon, when it was highlighted that players do sometimes make cheap offers - meaning that they may choose to if they so wish.

]However, attacking each other is never the answer in Miramagia. Ever! Discuss, by all means, but do so respectfully and not with a view to offend or inflame![/B]

Regarding this thread, as there is such a diversity in these answers alone, perhaps we should end it here and take a list of possible alterations to the correct area, which is frequently read by our hard-working development team? (http://forum.miramagia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9).

If you wish to continue the debate here, please remember what I stated above, and keep everyone in mind, not just your own, personal agendas.

Thank you

I resent your comment Forum Administrator. I may put my views across more forcefully than others from time to time, but I think the contributors have demonstrated they can handle it. Aliya's concluding comment was off topic in what is MY thread!

Still, that's fine I won't come onto the forum again. Clearly it is a waste of time.

I'm sorry I was not "nice enough" for you.

Cazzers
8th April 2015, 08:51 PM
2.1. Insults, vilification or other questionable comments about other players, in any form or in any place in the game, will not be tolerated and will be punished.

This thread is now closed. However, any ideas for market changes will be heartily welcomed in the suggestions thread, as posted above. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for your overall good conduct and respectful replies. Please remember that this warning is a Travian Games rule, and not subject to exemption by any player or member of staff.